Sexual well-being resources at Hopkins

| June 22, 2022
Posted in: , ,

Note: this post was updated in October 2022 to reflect an expansion of Homewood Counseling Center eligibility to SOE in-person students.

There are a variety of sexual health services, including contraception, pregnancy testing and counseling, and testing for sexually transmitted infections, available to Johns Hopkins students and trainees. Here is a reference guide to a few key ones; you can explore the whole library on this page of our website. 

Health Promotion and Well-Being 

Health Promotion and Well-Being has created a great index of sexual health resources. If you have questions or are looking to learn more about sexual well-being, email or set up an appointment with our health educator, Molly Hutchison at 

This office is university-wide; all students and trainees are eligible.  

Contraceptive Services 

The two primary care centers that serve Hopkins learners are the Student Health and Wellness Center (SHWC) at Homewood (serving KSAS, WSE and Peabody students and trainees, as well as SOE students taking in-person classes) and the University Health Services (UHS) clinic (serving SON, SOM and BSPH students and trainees). These offices offer a variety of birth control methods, including: 

  • Condoms (and other barrier methods) 
  • Oral contraceptives 
  • Injection 
  • Intrauterine and subdermal contraceptives 
  • Vaginal ring
  • Emergency contraception

Eligible students and learners seeking emergency contraception can schedule an appointment with a SHWC or UHS provider. 

If students are not eligible to be treated at or unable to make it to an on-campus clinic, emergency contraception can be purchased over the counter at a local drug store, online from Amazon, from the Homewood well-being vending machine, or 

For additional resources for comprehensive sexual and reproductive health care (including abortion services), read this PDF from with in-depth info on different kinds of contraception and/or visit the Planned Parenthood website to learn more or get care that is local to you within the United States.

Pregnancy and Delivery Care 

Both SHWC and UHS offer pregnancy testing; you can also purchase a pregnancy test from the Homewood well-being vending machine. If a Johns Hopkins student or trainee becomes pregnant and wishes to carry the pregnancy to term, they should contact their primary care provider and ask for a referral to an OB/GYN. For eligible learners, SHWC and UHS can provide referrals.  

STI Testing 

Both UHS and SHWC offer STI testing for eligible students and trainees.  

Additionally, the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine offers I Want the Kit (IWTK). IWTK offers free, accurate, and confidential in-home specimen collection and lab-based testing for two common STIs, chlamydia and gonorrhea. The service is available for all Maryland, Alaska, Oklahoma and Arizona residents. It also offers trichomonas testing for women and in-home HIV test kits for residents of some areas, including Baltimore City and Arizona. 

Gender-Based Violence 

Gender-based violence (GBV) is a form of power-based violence that manifests as sexual assault, intimate partner violence, sexual harassment, and stalking and is linked to normative understandings of gender. Learn more about GBV and explore resources on this page. 

Mental Well-Being 

Sexual and mental well-being are often closely linked. Here is a partial list of the resources available to Hopkins learners; you can explore the entire library on this page. 

  • Free access to Mental Telehealth, powered by TimelyCare, for all students and trainees. Mental Telehealth offers a 24/7 phone line, as well as providers licensed in all 50 states for virtual therapy appointments. Note: telehealth therapy appointments are only available to people physically located in the United States. Your citizenship doesn’t matter, but your physical location does. Students in the U.S. and in countries that permit web access can use the 24/7 on-demand support service. If neither of these options is available to you, please contact your Hopkins mental health office (see below) for support. 
  • Homewood Counseling Center (410-516-8278). This office provides mental health and well-being services to KSAS, WSE and Peabody students, as well as SOE students taking in-person classes.
  • Johns Hopkins Student Assistance Program (JHSAP). This office serves SOM, SON, BSPH, SOE, CBS, SAIS, AAP, and EFP students. It supports a 24/7 crisis line at 866-764-2317 
  • University Health Services (UHS). This office serves the physical and mental health needs of BSPH, SOM, and SON students and trainees.

A note about insurance coverage 

Hopkins learners access different healthcare options through various insurance programs including but not limited to: 

lf you have specific questions about accessing medical care, call the phone number or visit the website listed on the back of your health insurance card. If you are not the primary policyholder, check with your partner, family or employer as applicable.